Saturday, January 23, 2010

It's not lost, it's *misplaced*

It's been a while. Hello there. I have been reading. Not diligently, but sporadically. You know, three chapters while riding the bus, thirty pages before bed when I'm actually in bed before I want to pass out. It's not a very good system, and I'm not particularly proud of it, but I still have like what? Eight days left? Nine? Seven, maybe? It's fine. We're all good. Even if I don't read any of it before my EXAMS on Thursday I can still race to the end in the remaining 2 days of the month. Not that I will end up doing that, but it's always there, as an option. What's two hundred pages in two days to a home schooler? Pfft.

Today, an important question will be questioned and possibly answered or at least skirted around. According to my Language Arts mentor, I am good at skirting. I have honed this skill. Why provide a real opinion on an assignment when you can pick both sides while sounding very persuasive. Don't you just love writing essays?

The question: What is a classic?

This question is immediately easy for me to answer. In my humble and extremely important and noteworthy opinion, a classic is a book that was written a reasonable amount of time ago (for instance half of the time Edward has been seventeen. And sometimes shorter) that is still remembered today. For example, The Great Gatsby. I have no idea what it's about. I don't know anything about the book but it's title. And recently I learned there's someone named Daisy and a metaphor to God. Other than that, nothing. Yet, that is.

But I have heard of the title before. Even though it was written ages ago, the invention of the printing press has managed to connect us to an entirely different generation and way of thinking. Classic, yes?

This has been rather short and I don't think I got my point across entirely but I shall save it for another time because I've been non-writing for a while now and clearly anything else I say is going to be lamer than what I've already said.

Now, I shall go retrieve my book. Or submit an essay. Or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment