Friday, January 8, 2010

Ta-da!

I know you've all been waiting with bated breath and so before anything drastic happens (or the month ends), I will announce the book I will be reading. With a picture, no less.



If you're wondering what that indented looking pockmark on my book is, that's where I peeled the price sticker off. It left a mark. If it makes me seem more ghetto, I could tell you it's a bullet mark from when I was walking down the street and had to defend myself and the only thing available was the Pulitzer prize winning book by Harper Lee, but they* say honesty is the best policy.

So I went with the democratic process even though my sister didn't want me to. She thought that I should start with something light and though she's never read The Great Gatsby she thought that was the ticket. Hi Maddy. Love you. Of course I didn't just choose this book because Vita told me it was her favourite, over Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows no less, and I do whatever Vita tells me to do. Don't be ridiculous.

It took me a while to find this book. You see, it sat on my shelf for a couple months and then I decided that I'd just move it because my shelf has precious little space and I need to fill it with other books that I'm never going to find the time to read. So it went and sat on my mother's shelf for a while until very recently when it was misplaced. So even after majority ruled, I still wasn't sure if I'd be able to follow through on my promises.

Luckily, my mother is amazing** and she found it and here we are tonight. Page one, bring it on.

Hook sentences fascinate me. I mean, "When he was nearly thirteen my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow" doesn't seem particularly hook-y to me. Also, shouldn't there be a comma between thirteen and my? Am I an over user of commas? Maybe. Am I right? Yes. Right? Right?

So I haven't actually read anything but the first sentence so I will definitely do that now. Bye!

Oh, and I'm wondering is anyone going to read along with me? I know Maddy is. Hopefully. Just curious. That would be super awesome.

*They do rule over my life after all. But the question is, who are they?

**And no, she definitely didn't tell me to write that.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, I should tell you... the first chapter isn't all that interesting the first time you read the book. But I promise it gets better!

    ReplyDelete