Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Need to Quote Anastasia

My past as a blogger, though not wildly professional, is there and yet I've never done anything quite like this. Plans and themes have evading me and so I'm rubbing my hands together and ready to get started on this gem of a mind concoction.

I will now distract you from the clumsy beginning to this challenge by quoting from one of my favourite animated movies, Anastasia.

I feel like we are strangers, starting out on a journey. Never dreaming that our dreams (of literary abandon) would come true. Now here we are, and I'm suddenly standing at the beginning with you.

At this point I'm not really sure what we're looking at here. I think there'll be from 1 to 2 posts a week depending on how guilty I am that I'm failing at reading my current selection. I'm not even sure what these posts are really going to look like. There's a fuzzy draft in my mind that's sort of ruling over me and hopefully all will become clear as the weeks unroll. Hopefully you'll still be here.

The idea of reading one book a month for a year does not seem too onerous at this time but I am also factoring in that I have additional books to read for my book club, my English class and maybe a bit of leisure reading? You also have to add in all the time procrastinating, because I try to be honest with myself and procrastination is a vital part of my creative process. Okay, so maybe it's not vital, but it's definitely a part.

On to business: I need to pick January's novel. If you still think I was in any way prepared at this point, now you will probably give up hope. I did not decide on what I'm reading when, as I prefer the spontaneous method of planning. I was going to start with Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights for the single reason that's it's Bella and Edward's favourite book and when did that ever lead anyone astray, but my dear sister thought it was a little too dark for a beginning. How about a good old fashioned vote? Please comment below on which of the three following I should start off this marvelous year with and I will reward you with some imaginary cake. Pineapple upside down cake. How can you resist?

  • The Great Gatsby

  • Wuthering Heights

  • To Kill a Mockingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment